Hurtigruten - "El viaje marino más hermoso del mundo"
Borgund Church is situated in the old trading community Borgundkaupangen, and is partially built on the remains of the old St. Peter's Church from the 12th century. Most parts of today's church are from 1904, with lovely carvings by Nicolai Mejdel og Hans Johannessen.
Borgund Church can seat 650 people. The church was reconstructed after a fire in 1904, but they chose to keep the roman style. Parts of the church originate from the St. Peter's Church, which was built in the 12th century. There was several extentions made between 1632 -1868.
Notice the beautiful carved interior, made by Nicolai Mejdel and HansJohannessen, Lars Kinsarvik, Lerdal, Johansen and Johannes Rykken. Study the stone altar from the Middle Ages.
During the Middle Ages, the trading community in Borgundkaupangen had three churches, and hidden under the ground on the way to Borgund Animal Club, lies the remains of a marble church, Kirstkyrkja. This has probably been a cathedral. Several burial mounds from the Middle Ages have also been discovered in the area around Katevågen.
When arranged visits at Borgund church are requested, please contact the church office in advance to make an appointment. This in order to avoid funerals, weddings etc.