Self-guided mountain hike from Mt Ulriken to Mt Fløyen. Incl. bus, Ulriken cable car, Fløibanen funicular, packed lunch at Mt Ulriken, soup at Mt Fløyen and a mobile app.
Self-guided day trip. The city mountain hike ‘Vidden’ from Mt Ulriken to Mt Fløyen offers exciting cultural history as well as beautiful and wild highland nature and scenic views of the city, fjord and mountains. Vidden is the highest of Bergen’s seven mountains and offers the best views of the area.
After taking the bus from the city centre, you take the Ulriken cable car up to Mt Ulriken (643 metres). At the top, you can enjoy the view of the city before you start the hike across Vidden. The hike to Mt Fløyen (320 metres) takes around 4-6 hours. From there, you take the Fløibanen funicular down to the city centre.
It is also a good hike to do at night, when you can walk as daylight breaks. It is also possible to do it outside the season (e.g. March, April or October), if the weather allows. Contact us by email if this is of interest.
The terrain is easy, but uneven, and can also be a bit muddy. All hiking will be on a mountain path and not on a mountain road. The weather can change rapidly, and the climate on the mountain is different from the city. The route is 13 km long and takes approx. 4-6 hours, depending on your pace. This is a self-guided hike, which means that you will be provided with an app, which guides you in the right direction and gives you information about the places you visit along the trail.
The hike is around 13 km and takes approx. 4-6 hours.
Classification: blue, medium.
• Transport from and to the city centre
• Bus to Mt Ulriken
• Up Mt Ulriken (cable car)
• Down Mt Fløyen (funicular)
• A fresh packed lunch will be made for you at Mt Ulriken.
• App with information about the places along the route.
• Emergency number for assistance.
• Rent of equipment such as hiking shoes, windproof jacket and hiking poles
• (See more in the section on practical information)
• May 1st – September 30
• May 17: closed
• Recommended age limit 8 years. Suitable for families.
• Child (Age 8-15): NOK 590
• Adult (Age 16+): NOK 890
• Rent of hiking poles (NOK 75 for two poles)
Equipment and tickets will be provided at Bergen Base Camp, Holmedalsgården 3 at Bryggen. Open every day from 9.00 to 19.00.
Be sure to bring enough water in your backpack. You can fill your bottle on Mt Ulriken and Mt Fløyen. We recommend wearing hiking shoes, warm and windproof clothing, a backpack with extra clothing, camera and sunglasses. Remember to dress according to the weather!
Please note that this route should not be done in bad weather, and we do not recommend hiking in fog or strong wind. If there is too much wind, the cable car will close, which means the hike will not be possible. In that case, the hike will be cancelled and you will receive a full refund.
How to get to the top of Mt Ulriken?
Ulriken is the highest of the seven mountains surrounding Bergen. You can take the Ulriken cable car to the top.
Double-decker bus from Bergen to Mt Ulriken, 1 May – 30 September
The bus leaves from just across the road from the Tourist Information, and it takes about 15 minutes.
Departs from the city centre on the hour from 9.00 – 18.00.
Departs from Ulriken at a quarter past the hour from 9.15 - 17.15. The last bus leaves at 18.30.
• 9.30: Meet at Bergen Base Camp for equipment and information
• 10.00: Ulriken bus from the city centre
• 10.30: Arrival at Mt Ulriken. Pick up your fresh packed lunch.
• 10.45: Start the hike at Vidden
• 13.30: Eat packed lunch
• 16.30: Arrival at Mt Fløyen
• 16.45: Fløibanen funicular down the mountain (the Fløibanen funicular closes at 23.00).
• 17.00: Return equipment at Bergen Base Camp (closes 19.00).
This is a recommended itinerary, where we estimate that it takes 6 hours to do the hike. However, you can start the hike later, but please note that the Fløibanen funicular closes at 23.00.
• The tour can be booked until 9.00 the same day.
• Cancellation with full refund up to 48 hours before departure.